If you’re a homeowner, one of the most important parts of maintaining your property is proper roof care. Unfortunately, roof damage and deterioration is inevitable over time. Extreme weather, age, improper installation, and normal wear and tear can mean it’s time for roof repairs. Identifying issues early and completing prompt roof repairs is key to preventing further damage.
That’s why our team of professional roofers at Roof Masters of Colorado has put together this beginner’s guide. Whether you’re unfamiliar with roof repairs or are unsure when and how to address problems, this article will provide you with the roofing basics.
As the leading roofing company in Boulder, CO with over 28 years of experience, Roof Masters delivers top-quality roof installations, repairs, and replacements. We work on all types of homes and buildings, from residential houses to commercial structures. Our skilled crews, exceptional customer service, and use of durable roofing materials make us the number one choice for roofing needs.
This beginner’s guide will cover:
- Common signs your roof needs repairs
- Different types of roof repairs and when they’re necessary
- The major roofing materials we use for repairs
- How to choose a qualified, reputable roofer
- What to expect during the roof repair process
Knowing these key things about roof repairs will help you make informed decisions about addressing any issues with your roof. The sooner problems get taken care of by professional roofers like us, the less likely you’ll experience water damage, leaks, mold growth, and other headaches. Let’s get started with going over some telltale signs that your roof may need repairs.
Why Roofs Need Repairs
Over time, every roof will inevitably need repairs. There are several common causes that prompt the need for roof maintenance and repair work:
Normal Wear and Tear
Roofs are exposed to the elements day in and day out. The combination of sun, rain, wind, and other environmental factors slowly degrades and damages roofing materials. Asphalt shingles become brittle and cracked while wood shakes can rot and warp.
Severe Weather Events
Storms often wreak havoc on roofs. Hail can dent and chip away at shingles. High winds can tear off shingles or blow debris into the roof. Excessive snow and ice leads to leaks as it melts. Rain can seep in around flashing and cause water damage. Roof repairs are frequently needed after weather disasters.
Most roofs last around 20-25 years before needing replacement. But the older a roof gets, problems like leaks, curling shingles, and deterioration become more likely. Once a roof nears or exceeds its lifespan, repairs can only provide temporary fixes.
Mistakes made during the initial roof installation can come back to haunt homeowners later on. Things like inadequate underlayment, loose fasteners, or poor flashing work often require repairs down the road.
Impact from falling tree limbs, animals, or people walking on the roof leads to obvious damage like punctures, missing shingles, or broken fixtures. These visible issues need immediate roof repairs.
Different Types of Roof Repairs
When your roof needs work, there are several repair approaches and techniques that may be used depending on the extent and type of damage. Here are some of the most common types of roof repairs:
This involves replacing just the shingles or roofing materials in the areas that are damaged. It is a cost-effective option for minor issues like a few missing or cracked shingles. Patching can also be used as a temporary solution until more extensive repairs can be done. The downside is that it may not fix underlying causes or stop further deterioration.
With this method, roofers strip away old shingles and replace them in the sections that are most worn or damaged. This is a good middle ground repair for roofs that are still structurally sound but have isolated areas needing attention. It costs less than full replacement.
Full Roof Replacement
When the entire roof has significant damage, leaks, or is near or past its lifespan, a full roof replacement is usually required. This entails removing all old roofing materials down to the sheathing and installing an entirely new roof. It provides the most thorough fix but is also the most expensive option.
Coatings involve applying specialized protective sealants over the existing roof. This can add years to a roof’s life, prevent leaks, reflect UV rays, and reduce energy costs. Roof coatings provide an affordable alternative to replacing the whole roof.
Emergency Roof Repair
These are for issues that need urgent attention like fixing a tree branch hole, leak patching, or temporary coverings after severe weather damage. Emergency roof repairs prevent further destruction until permanent fixes can be made.
The type of repair needed depends on factors like roof age, extent of damage, budget, and homeowners insurance coverage. Our expert roofers assess each roof carefully before recommending the right solutions.
Roofing Materials for Repairs
There are a variety of roofing materials that may be used for repair and replacement work. The type of material determines the repair methods, durability, lifespan, and overall cost.
This economical option is the most common for residential homes. Asphalt shingles come in a wide range of styles and colors. They last 20-30 years on average. For repairs, matching the existing old shingle is usually preferred.
Steel, aluminum, and copper roofing have a 50+ year lifespan. Metal roofs are durable, fire-resistant, and able to withstand heavy weather. It can be prone to dents though, and can be more costly. Metal panels are often screwed into place, making future roof repair fairly straightforward.
Flat Roof Materials
Roofs without a pitch are typically made of PVC, TPO, rubber, or built-up roofing. These can last 10-30 years with proper maintenance on a flat roof. Seams and flashing areas tend to need repairs over time.
Tile roofs made from concrete, clay, or slate tiles can last 50+ years. Individual cracked, broken, or slipped tiles can be easily replaced as repairs. Matching the color and style is important.
Wood Shake Roofs
Though attractive, wood requires frequent maintenance and repairs, and doesn’t hold up well to the cold. New matching shakes can patch small damaged sections but may weather differently. Fire risk is also a downside of wood roofing.
Choosing durable, quality materials and working with experienced roofers ensures any repairs will stand the test of time. Our team specializes in asphalt, metal, flat, and tile roof repairs. Contact us today for an inspection and estimate!
Choosing a Qualified Roofer
Completing roof repairs yourself as a DIY project is not advisable. Hiring professional roofers ensures the work is done properly, safely, and built to last. Here are some tips on choosing the right roofing contractor:
- Verify their licenses and certifications – Reputable roofers will have all required licenses, insurance, bonding, and manufacturer certifications indicating their legitimacy and expertise.
- Look for experience and training – The contractor should have several years, even decades, of proven experience installing and repairing roofs. Formal training on current codes and methods is key.
- Check reviews and references – Online reviews, testimonials, and referrals from past clients reveal a lot about a roofer’s quality, reliability, and service. Be wary of extremely negative or no reviews.
- Confirm they follow safety procedures – There are risks working on roofs. The contractor should detail their safety protocols, equipment, and standards to protect workers and your home.
- Get multiple estimates – When comparing bids from different roofers, be sure the scope of work is identical. Be wary of prices that seem too good to be true.
At Roof Masters of Colorado, we meet all the criteria of trustworthy, highly-skilled roofing contractors who take the upmost care with every roofing project in Boulder county and across Colorado. Our reputation and long history of success confirm we are the top choice for roof repairs.
What to Expect During the Roof Repair Process
When you hire Roof Masters of Colorado for your roof repairs, here is an overview of what you can expect:
- Inspection and assessment – We thoroughly examine your roof and use advanced techniques like drone imaging to identify all areas needing repair. We determine the best repair solutions for issues detected.
- Project estimate and timeline – Based on the inspection, we provide a detailed project estimate outlining the scope of work, materials, costs, timeline, and other specifics tailored to your roof and home.
- Protecting landscaping – The area around the home is protected with tarps and other coverings secured with weights and stakes. This prevents debris damage during the roof work.
- Noise/disruption – Roof repairs involve noise from tools like nail guns and debris removal. We keep disturbances to a minimum and follow all noise regulations.
- Cleanup process – All roofing debris and materials are properly disposed of. A magnetic roller ensures no stray nails are left behind. Ground tarps are removed and the property is restored to its original condition.
- Inspecting for problems – Once repairs are complete, we thoroughly inspect for any missed issues, mistakes, or abnormalities before considering the project finished. We want repairs done right the first time.
- Efficient process – Our skilled crews have extensive experience with all types of roof repairs. We complete projects as quickly and efficiently as possible while maintaining high quality.
Trust Roof Masters of Colorado for All Your Roof Repair Needs
Regular roof maintenance and prompt repairs are critical to protecting your home and avoiding extensive damage or replacement costs down the road. Catching minor issues early is key.
In this beginner’s guide, we covered the main causes of roof damage, types of repairs, materials used, how to choose a qualified roofer, and what to expect during the process. While repairs can seem complicated and overwhelming to homeowners at first, the professional roofers at Roof Masters of Colorado make the process straightforward and efficient.
With over 28 years of experience providing top-notch roofing services in Boulder, CO and surrounding areas, we are the number one experts you can trust for any roof repair needs. Our skilled crews use only premium materials to ensure repairs stand the test of time. We offer free inspections and estimates, so contact Roof Masters today to get started maintaining or restoring your roof.